Instructions for Aluminum Dinosaurs
The prepping and painting of the Aluminum Dinosaur should follow these steps.
1. Sand the entire dinosaur surface with 120 grit sandpaper. Can be done with a palm orbital sander. Use a respirator, gloves. and goggles or face shield.
2. Clean the dinosaur with Mineral Spirits. Applied with cloth rag. Area needs to have good ventilation. Use a respirator with charcoal activated filters, Gloves and googles or face shield.
3. Apply primer to dinosaur. Acid Etching Primer that is available at Auto Paint Specialists. This is a spray can application. Area needs to have good ventilation. Use a respirator with charcoal activated filters, Gloves and googles or face shield.
4. The first coat of paint needs to be applied between 1 and 8 hours after applying the primer. Automotive paint is available at Auto Paint Specialists. Use cheap brushes, or old oil painting brushes. Apply in thin coats. Paint dries very quick. You need to use acetone frequently to keep the brushes workable. Clean brushes with Lacquer Thinner or Acetone. Area needs to have good ventilation. Use a respirator with charcoal activated filters, Gloves and googles or face shield. Avoid fumes. The paint is expensive. Isaiah and Jeanne shared paints to reduce price.
5. Basin Collision Repair will apply a protective clear coat, Soon after painting.
Printouts of dinosaur design for reference
Well ventilated work area
2 Flat dollies for moving dinosaur (optional)) Available at Harbor Freight or
from Jeanne Newman
Drop cloth or tarp
Small Paint and thinner containers with mixing palette
Rags and paper towels
100 or 120 grit sandpaper
Old or cheap brushes
Acetone or Lacquer Thinner
Automotive paint – variety of colors to match palette needed
Acid Etching Primer
Personal Protective Equipment for each worker
Goggles or face shield
Face respirator with Carbon Activated filters
Other tools and equipment that will be needed or help.
Safety Fire hazards: Rags & paper towels used with volatile materials (Paint, thinners etc.), need to be disposed of properly. Avoid wadding rags and paper towels when not in use. Lay rags and paper out in well ventilated area outside when not in use. Allow to dry completely before disposing them, or place in sealed tin can with water.
Most of the needed supplies can be purchased at Lowes or Walmart. The automotive paint and primer can be purchased at Auto Paint Specialists which is in the old Napa Auto Parts store or behind the Beauty College at 630 East Main, Vernal. UBVA will reimburse you or pay directly for all supplies you need. Sherril Porter at email@example.com can help with tools such as an orbital sander etc. Sherril can also answer questions.